Docker image for qpid-cpp broker

Irina Boverman
I have created a docker image and posted it here:
   https://hub.docker.com/r/irinabov/docker-qpid-cpp/

Source is here:
   https://github.com/irinabov/docker-qpid-cpp
--
Reviews, feedback and comments are welcome.
This image is based on Fedora 25 and builds proton 0.17.0 and qpid-cpp
Regards, Irina.

Re: Docker image for qpid-cpp broker

Irina Boverman
Correction: Fedora 26 is latest.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Irina Boverman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have created a docker image and posted it here:
>    https://hub.docker.com/r/irinabov/docker-qpid-cpp/
>
> Source is here:
>    https://github.com/irinabov/docker-qpid-cpp
> --
> Reviews, feedback and comments are welcome.
> This image is based on Fedora 25 and builds proton 0.17.0 and qpid-cpp
> 1.36.0 from apache git repo.
> Regards, Irina.

Re: Docker image for qpid-cpp broker

astitcher
Going forward, I think it is important to allow the persistent data
from a broker to be stored in a docker volume.

As this container spec currently stands it is really only useful for a
broker with no persistent queues, as there is no way to keep the queued
data if the container is stopped.

Andrew

On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 11:54 -0400, Irina Boverman wrote:

> Correction: Fedora 26 is latest.
>
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Irina Boverman <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > I have created a docker image and posted it here:
> >    https://hub.docker.com/r/irinabov/docker-qpid-cpp/
> >
> > Source is here:
> >    https://github.com/irinabov/docker-qpid-cpp
> > --
> > Reviews, feedback and comments are welcome.
> > This image is based on Fedora 25 and builds proton 0.17.0 and qpid-
> > cpp
> > 1.36.0 from apache git repo.
> > --
> > Regards, Irina.

Re: Docker image for qpid-cpp broker

Irina Boverman
I think this example addresses your concern:

docker run -d -e QPID_DATA_DIR=/root/qpid_data -v
/root/qpid_data:/root/qpid_data:Z --name test1 irinabov/docker-qpid-cpp

Does it?
Irina.

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Andrew Stitcher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Going forward, I think it is important to allow the persistent data
> from a broker to be stored in a docker volume.
>
> As this container spec currently stands it is really only useful for a
> broker with no persistent queues, as there is no way to keep the queued
> data if the container is stopped.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 11:54 -0400, Irina Boverman wrote:
> > Correction: Fedora 26 is latest.
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Irina Boverman <[hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I have created a docker image and posted it here:
> > >    https://hub.docker.com/r/irinabov/docker-qpid-cpp/
> > >
> > > Source is here:
> > >    https://github.com/irinabov/docker-qpid-cpp
> > > --
> > > Reviews, feedback and comments are welcome.
> > > This image is based on Fedora 25 and builds proton 0.17.0 and qpid-
> > > cpp
> > > 1.36.0 from apache git repo.
> > > --
> > > Regards, Irina.

Re: Docker image for qpid-cpp broker

Irina Boverman
I can also add a volume, for example, /var/lib/.qpidd.

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Irina Boverman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think this example addresses your concern:
>
> docker run -d -e QPID_DATA_DIR=/root/qpid_data -v
> /root/qpid_data:/root/qpid_data:Z --name test1 irinabov/docker-qpid-cpp
>
> Does it?
> Irina.
>
> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Andrew Stitcher <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Going forward, I think it is important to allow the persistent data
>> from a broker to be stored in a docker volume.
>>
>> As this container spec currently stands it is really only useful for a
>> broker with no persistent queues, as there is no way to keep the queued
>> data if the container is stopped.
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 11:54 -0400, Irina Boverman wrote:
>> > Correction: Fedora 26 is latest.

Re: Docker image for qpid-cpp broker

Eric Sammons
Do we want to use root in this example?  I tend to stay way from anything
that might imply we are using root's home directory or root.

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 7:01 AM Irina Boverman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can also add a volume, for example, /var/lib/.qpidd.
>
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Irina Boverman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I think this example addresses your concern:
> >
> > docker run -d -e QPID_DATA_DIR=/root/qpid_data -v
> > /root/qpid_data:/root/qpid_data:Z --name test1 irinabov/docker-qpid-cpp
> >
> > Does it?
> > Irina.
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Andrew Stitcher <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Going forward, I think it is important to allow the persistent data
> >> from a broker to be stored in a docker volume.
> >>
> >> As this container spec currently stands it is really only useful for a
> >> broker with no persistent queues, as there is no way to keep the queued
> >> data if the container is stopped.
> >>
> >> Andrew

ERIC L SAMMONS

MANAGER, QUALITY ENGINEERING

Red Hat <https://www.redhat.com/>

[hidden email]    T: (919)754.4963    M: (919)889.3279
<https://red.ht/sig>

On Thu, 2017-08-10 at 09:56 -0400, Irina Boverman wrote:
> I think this example addresses your concern:
>
> docker run -d -e QPID_DATA_DIR=/root/qpid_data -v
> /root/qpid_data:/root/qpid_data:Z --name test1 irinabov/docker-qpid-
> cpp
>
> Does it?

Not exactly - although I think your other message is in the correct
direction.

I think *by default* the broker's data directory should be a volume. I
don't think it matters where actually - although Eric may be correct
that root's home directory might be a bad place.

As long as the default data directory in the the included config file
is a volume then I think my concern is addressed.

I don't think you should need to specify any env variables on the
command line to get this. all that should be  on the "docker run" line
is the volume specification. As this is a container whose only purpose
is to run qpidd there is no need to specify the internals of the
container only how it maps to a volume to make persistent messages
really persistent.

It might well make sense to have something controlling whether there is
a data directory at all though - in other words disable all persistent
queues/messages.

Andrew