Qpid Proton cannot connect to Azure Service Bus 'amqp:connection:framing-error'

Qpid Proton cannot connect to Azure Service Bus 'amqp:connection:framing-error'

Oskar Christensson
We're trying to get a C++ connection to Azure Service Bus using AMQP with QPID proton, and trying out the examples under qpid-proton/cpp/examples it fails.

Steps to reproduce:

  1.  Clone qpid-proton
  2.  Follow installation and make README
  3.  Create new Service Bus Namespace in azure
  4.  Create new Service Bus Queue in Azure with Sessions enabled
  5.  Create a policy with all permissions
  6.  `./service_bus -n <namespace>.servicebus.windows.net -p <policy_name> -k <uri_encoded_policy_key> -e <queue_name>

Expected results:

It should work according to the docs in the cpp/examples/service_bus.cpp docs

Actual results:

amqp:connection:framing-error: SASL header mismatch: Insufficient data to determine protocol [''] (connection aborted)

Link to issue reported in JIRA:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-2006

What do I need to do to make the example work?

Best regards,

Oskar

Re: Qpid Proton cannot connect to Azure Service Bus 'amqp:connection:framing-error'

Gordon Sim
On 25/02/2019 1:01 pm, Oskar Christensson wrote:

> We're trying to get a C++ connection to Azure Service Bus using AMQP with QPID proton, and trying out the examples under qpid-proton/cpp/examples it fails.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
>    1.  Clone qpid-proton
>    2.  Follow installation and make README
>    3.  Create new Service Bus Namespace in azure
>    4.  Create new Service Bus Queue in Azure with Sessions enabled
>    5.  Create a policy with all permissions
>    6.  `./service_bus -n <namespace>.servicebus.windows.net -p <policy_name> -k <uri_encoded_policy_key> -e <queue_name>
>
> Expected results:
>
> It should work according to the docs in the cpp/examples/service_bus.cpp docs
>
> Actual results:
>
> amqp:connection:framing-error: SASL header mismatch: Insufficient data to determine protocol [''] (connection aborted)

I don't really know anything about servicebus. However I tried that
example with a fake namespace and got a slightly different error. The
error you get sounds like it is not getting the 8 byte header that it
expects to start with. Perhaps try with different values for the policy,
key and queue to see if that has any difference.

Cliff, do you have any suggestions? (I think this example came from you
originally?)

Re: Qpid Proton cannot connect to Azure Service Bus 'amqp:connection:framing-error'

Clifford Jansen
I don't have any saved log traces of my old runs unfortunately and used up my trial account.

Off hand, I wonder if the policy key is supposed to be uri encoded (or already was).

It might be helpful to run the client with debugging environment vars turned on:

  PN_TRACE_FRM=1 PN_TRACE_DRV=1 PN_TRACE_LOG=1

Cliff