[VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.24.0

[VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.24.0

Hi folks,

I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.24.0 release, please
give it a test out and vote accordingly.

The files can be grabbed from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.24.0-rc1/

The JIRAs assigned are:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12343063

It is tagged as 0.24.0-rc1.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.24.0

Timothy Bish
On 06/26/2018 10:56 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.24.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.24.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12343063
>
> It is tagged as 0.24.0-rc1.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie

+1

* Validated signature and checksum
* Checked for license and notice files
* Built from source and ran tests
* Ran the included examples against standalone Artemis broker
* Ran performance tests using the built libraries against an Artemis broker

--
Tim Bish
twitter: @tabish121

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.24.0

Ganesh Murthy
+1
* Validated signatures and checksums
* Checked for presence of LICENSE and NOTICE files
* Compiled source and ran tests against Qpid Dispatch master and all tests
pass
* Compiled and ran tests against Qpid Dispatch 1.1.0. The policy tests fail
but that is because of stricter UIRL parsing introduced in Proton 0.24. All
tests still pass with Dispatch 1.1.0 and Proton 0.23

On 26 June 2018 at 15:56, Robbie Gemmell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.24.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.24.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12343063
>
> It is tagged as 0.24.0-rc1.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie

+1

I checked things out as follows:

- Verified the sig and checksum files.
- Checked for LICENCE and NOTICE files in the archives.
- Ran the build, tests, and installed.
- Built Qpid Dispatch master against it and ran the tests.
- Built Qpid Dispatch 1.1.0 against it and ran the tests. A few of the tests
  in "system_tests_policy" failed, seemingly due to use of invalid URLs. I
  believe this is the issue noted by Chuck in the 1.1.0 RC6 vote.
- Built Qpid CPP 1.38.0 against it.
- Ran the Qpid JMS HelloWorld example against the built routers and broker.

On 26/06/18 15:56, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.24.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.

+1

* verified signature and has
* built from source including tests
* built dispatch 1.1.0 against it (some test failures due to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DISPATCH-1024, fixed on master)
* ran python examples against dispatch
* built qpid-cpp against it

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.24.0

Chuck Rolke
+1 (on Fedora Linux 4.16.7-200.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP)

* verified kit checksum
* build/install
* passes self test
* included in qpid-dispatch (current master) build
* passes dispatch self test
* set up local router network and pass millions of messages

> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.24.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.24.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12343063
>
> It is tagged as 0.24.0-rc1.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.24.0

Justin Ross-3
+1.  Built on Fedora 26.  Built Dispatch against it.  Ran the Proton and
Dispatch tests (no failures).  Ran Qpid JMS 0.24.0 RC1 against it in some
benchmarks, both peer to peer and client server with Dispatch.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 7:56 AM Robbie Gemmell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.24.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.24.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12343063
>
> It is tagged as 0.24.0-rc1.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.24.0

Ted Ross
+1

On 26/06/18 18:50, Gordon Sim wrote:

> On 26/06/18 15:56, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.24.0 release, please
>> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> +1
>
> * verified signature and has
> * built from source including tests
> * built dispatch 1.1.0 against it (some test failures due to
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DISPATCH-1024, fixed on master)
> * ran python examples against dispatch
> * built qpid-cpp against it

I do think it would be worth an explicit release note concerning
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-1354, indicating that
applications using GSSAPI which are not explicitly setting that on the
client side, will not work as before with this release. The solution is
to have the application clients explicitly set GSSAPI as a/the
sasl-mechanism.

On 27 June 2018 at 13:57, Gordon Sim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/06/18 18:50, Gordon Sim wrote:
>>
>> On 26/06/18 15:56, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.24.0 release, please
>>> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>>

>> +1
>>
>> * verified signature and has
>> * built from source including tests
>> * built dispatch 1.1.0 against it (some test failures due to
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DISPATCH-1024, fixed on master)
>> * ran python examples against dispatch
>> * built qpid-cpp against it
>

> I do think it would be worth an explicit release note concerning
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-1354, indicating that
> applications using GSSAPI which are not explicitly setting that on the
> client side, will not work as before with this release. The solution is to
> have the application clients explicitly set GSSAPI as a/the sasl-mechanism.

Agreed. I see someone already added a release-notes label to it
previously and so presumably also agrees.

I think the JIRA should probably contain some text/examples, or links
to relevant docs, indicating how it is now used.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.24.0

Keith Wall
+1

Built from source bundle, verified checksum and signature and ran unit
tests on Ubuntu 16.04.3 (VM)

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 at 14:48, Robbie Gemmell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 27 June 2018 at 13:57, Gordon Sim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> +1
> >>
> >> * verified signature and has
> >> * built from source including tests
> >> * built dispatch 1.1.0 against it (some test failures due to
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DISPATCH-1024, fixed on master)
> >> * ran python examples against dispatch
> >> * built qpid-cpp against it
> >

> > I do think it would be worth an explicit release note concerning
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-1354, indicating that
> > applications using GSSAPI which are not explicitly setting that on the
> > client side, will not work as before with this release. The solution is
> > have the application clients explicitly set GSSAPI as a/the
sasl-mechanism.

> Agreed. I see someone already added a release-notes label to it
> previously and so presumably also agrees.
>
> I think the JIRA should probably contain some text/examples, or links
> to relevant docs, indicating how it is now used.
>
> Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.24.0

Ken Giusti
+1

Successfully pass both the qdrouterd smoke tests and oslo.messaging
functional tests

wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.24.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.24.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
> projectId=12313720&version=12343063
>
> It is tagged as 0.24.0-rc1.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie

-K

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.24.0

aconway.rh
+1, works in the Envoy bridge

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Ken Giusti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Successfully pass both the qdrouterd smoke tests and oslo.messaging
> functional tests
>

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:56 AM, Robbie Gemmell <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.24.0 release, please
> > give it a test out and vote accordingly.
> >
> > The files can be grabbed from:
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.24.0-rc1/
> >
> > The JIRAs assigned are:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
> > projectId=12313720&version=12343063
> >
> > It is tagged as 0.24.0-rc1.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Robbie

> -K

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.24.0

Roddie Kieley
+1 (advisory)

On OSX 10.11.6:
- Updated MacPorts Portfile to pull 0.24.0-rc1 tag; built and installed
-- built and ran installed c examples
-- built and ran installed cpp examples
- cloned the Apache Github qpid-proton repository, checked out the tag
0.24.0-rc1
-- Generated and built via Makefiles; no bindings, no valgrind
-- Generated and built via Xcode project w/Xcode 7.3.1 command line tools;
no bindings, no valgrind
--- Ran ctest -VV -C Debug and passed successfully

On Fedora 27
- cloned the Apache Github qpid-proton repository, checked out the tag
0.24.0-rc1
-- Generated and built with default configuration
-- ran ctest -VV with no failures