[VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Robbie Gemmell
Administrator
Hi folks,

I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
give it a test out and vote accordingly.

The files can be grabbed from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/

The JIRAs assigned are:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12344569

It is tagged as 0.28.0-rc1.

Regards,
Robbie

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Robbie Gemmell
Administrator
On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 16:54, Robbie Gemmell <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12344569
>
> It is tagged as 0.28.0-rc1.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie

+1

I checked things over as follows:
- Verified the signature and checksum files.
- Checked for LICENCE and NOTICE files present in the archive.
- Ran the build, tests, and install.
- Built Qpid Dispatch 1.7.0 + master against it and ran its tests.
- Built Qpid CPP 1.39.0 against it and ran its tests.
- Ran a Qpid Dispatch 1.7.0 router using it, previously built against 0.27.1.
- Ran a Qpid CPP 1.39.0 broker using it, previously built against 0.27.1.
- Ran Qpid JMS 0.42.0 RC1 HelloWorld against the various routers and brokers.

Robbie

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Gordon Sim
In reply to this post by Robbie Gemmell
On 07/05/2019 4:54 pm, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/


* verified signature and checksum
* built and installed from source including all tests
* ran all python examples (against qpid-cpp broker for those that
   require a broker)
   - the helloworld_direct_tornado.py no longer works (it does work with
     0.27.1)
     Not sure whether this is deliberate or expected. If it is decided
     that support for that example is no longer required then
     - at a minimum that example should be removed from the tree
     - would be nice to have an alternative example showing how to
       work with some external event loop
* verified basic reconnect working as expected for python client
* built dispatch against it including all tests


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Timothy Bish
In reply to this post by Robbie Gemmell
On 5/7/19 11:54 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12344569
>
> It is tagged as 0.28.0-rc1.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
+1

* Validated signatures and checksums
* Checked for license and notice files
* Build from source and ran the test suite
* Ran some examples against an ActiveMQ Artemis master broker build.


--
Tim Bish


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

astitcher
In reply to this post by Gordon Sim
On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 13:29 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
> ...
> * ran all python examples (against qpid-cpp broker for those that
>    require a broker)
>    - the helloworld_direct_tornado.py no longer works (it does work
> with
>      0.27.1)
>      Not sure whether this is deliberate or expected.

It is expected to work. It certainly was working when the python
changes were initially committed. I will give this a try and see what's
going on.

This might well be a -1.

Andrew



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Chuck Rolke
In reply to this post by Robbie Gemmell
+1

* Verified signatures
* Built on (Fedora 28, python2) and (Fedora 29, python3)
* Passes self tests
* Built into qpid-dispatch master, passes self tests

Note: did not test tornado external event loop example

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Robbie Gemmell" <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:54:37 AM
> Subject: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12344569
>
> It is tagged as 0.28.0-rc1.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

astitcher
In reply to this post by astitcher
On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 10:41 -0400, Andrew Stitcher wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 13:29 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
> > ...
> > * ran all python examples (against qpid-cpp broker for those that
> >    require a broker)
> >    - the helloworld_direct_tornado.py no longer works (it does work
> > with
> >      0.27.1)
> >      Not sure whether this is deliberate or expected.
>
> It is expected to work. It certainly was working when the python
> changes were initially committed. I will give this a try and see
> what's
> going on.

The work to fix the reconnect behaviour (and reinstate non blocking
connect) did indeed break the tornado examples.

I would make this release blocking except that the tornado examples
were actually broken for a long time (afaict) before I fixed them in
SHA 603ce7a7 (PROTON-1991) which was only 4 months ago so I'm not
actually sure how many people really care about them.

On the other hand it is a regression from 0.27, but not exactly a
regression for some earlier releases (but with different problems).

Gordon do you want to make this failure -1 the release and respin when
I have a fix?

Andrew



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Gordon Sim
On 08/05/2019 10:52 pm, Andrew Stitcher wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 10:41 -0400, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
>> On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 13:29 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
>>> ...
>>> * ran all python examples (against qpid-cpp broker for those that
>>>     require a broker)
>>>     - the helloworld_direct_tornado.py no longer works (it does work
>>> with
>>>       0.27.1)
>>>       Not sure whether this is deliberate or expected.
>>
>> It is expected to work. It certainly was working when the python
>> changes were initially committed. I will give this a try and see
>> what's
>> going on.
>
> The work to fix the reconnect behaviour (and reinstate non blocking
> connect) did indeed break the tornado examples.
>
> I would make this release blocking except that the tornado examples
> were actually broken for a long time (afaict) before I fixed them in
> SHA 603ce7a7 (PROTON-1991) which was only 4 months ago so I'm not
> actually sure how many people really care about them.
>
> On the other hand it is a regression from 0.27, but not exactly a
> regression for some earlier releases (but with different problems).

I've gone back through 0.27.1, 0.26.0, 0.25.0, 0.24.0 and 0.23.0 and in
all those helloworld_tornado.py and helloworld_direct_tornado.py work
though you are right that the recurring_timer_tornado.py example did not.

The test_examples run helloworld_tornado.py and
helloworld_direct_tornado.py and I run that pretty regularly (certainly
most proton releases I vote on) so I would have been surprised if they
had been broken. (The recurring timer example is not automated and I
never really run that one).

> Gordon do you want to make this failure -1 the release and respin when
> I have a fix?

Whats the nature of the issue/fix? Is it only these examples that would
be affected?

My inclination would be to respin with the fix. Though I would readily
concede that the examples are corner cases, I believe they have been
working through recent releases (apart from the timer one) and it would
be a shame to break that without some reason.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

astitcher
On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 23:23 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:

> ...
> > On the other hand it is a regression from 0.27, but not exactly a
> > regression for some earlier releases (but with different problems).
>
> I've gone back through 0.27.1, 0.26.0, 0.25.0, 0.24.0 and 0.23.0 and
> in
> all those helloworld_tornado.py and helloworld_direct_tornado.py
> work
> though you are right that the recurring_timer_tornado.py example did
> not.

Indeed, the issue was with the tornado scheduler example - I expect
that made me think those examples were unmaintained and nobody really
cared about them - why not run that test too?

> > Gordon do you want to make this failure -1 the release and respin
> > when
> > I have a fix?
>
> Whats the nature of the issue/fix? Is it only these examples that
> would
> be affected?

I'll know when I find the fix! It's not entirely clear yet - but it
looks like the existing code might only accidentally work.

>
> My inclination would be to respin with the fix. Though I would
> readily
> concede that the examples are corner cases, I believe they have been
> working through recent releases (apart from the timer one) and it
> would
> be a shame to break that without some reason.

Agreed.

Andrew



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

astitcher
On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 21:25 -0400, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> ...
> > Whats the nature of the issue/fix? Is it only these examples that
> > would
> > be affected?
>
> I'll know when I find the fix! It's not entirely clear yet - but it
> looks like the existing code might only accidentally work.

Phew - the existing code is correct, but the reconnect work has changed
the implicit protocol between proton and the select implementation
(usually internal to the proton binding, but wth an external loop like
tornado the external loop). To fix this and maintain the capability of
external loops isn't trivial - at least a days work.

This change supports an important change (and IMO fix) to the python
bindings of correctly trying *all* the addresses/IP protocols
associated with a given DNS name that I think is more important than
the external loop abiility.

This being so - I'd recommend releasing this as is with a release note
and being sure to fix this issue for 0.29.

Andrew



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Robbie Gemmell
Administrator
On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 14:10, Andrew Stitcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 21:25 -0400, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> > ...
> > > Whats the nature of the issue/fix? Is it only these examples that
> > > would
> > > be affected?
> >
> > I'll know when I find the fix! It's not entirely clear yet - but it
> > looks like the existing code might only accidentally work.
>
> Phew - the existing code is correct, but the reconnect work has changed
> the implicit protocol between proton and the select implementation
> (usually internal to the proton binding, but wth an external loop like
> tornado the external loop). To fix this and maintain the capability of
> external loops isn't trivial - at least a days work.
>
> This change supports an important change (and IMO fix) to the python
> bindings of correctly trying *all* the addresses/IP protocols
> associated with a given DNS name that I think is more important than
> the external loop abiility.
>
> This being so - I'd recommend releasing this as is with a release note
> and being sure to fix this issue for 0.29.
>
> Andrew
>

A vote might be more compelling than a recommendation :)

As things stand, no one has yet voted against releasing, and there are
currently 3 binding +1 votes, so the vote would pass tomorrow as-is.
I'm thus far inclined to let it and proceed, since a fix is not yet in
place and it will likely be awkward for me to actually do a respin
next week, so doing that will likely significantly delay the release
yet further. I'll happily do a 0.28.1 or 0.29.0 in similar time frame
once a fix for this or other issues/improvements becomes available.

Robbie

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Ganesh Murthy
In reply to this post by Robbie Gemmell
On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 11:54 AM Robbie Gemmell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12344569
>
> It is tagged as 0.28.0-rc1.
>

+1
* Validated signatures and checksums
* Checked for presence of LICENSE and NOTICE files
* Compiled source on Fedora 29
Built Qpid Dispatch master branch and 1.7 with this proton. All dispatch
tests passed.

Thanks.


>
> Regards,
> Robbie
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

Ken Giusti
In reply to this post by Robbie Gemmell
+1
built & ctests ok on Ubuntu18
pyngus unit test ok
oslo.messaging tox tests ok


On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 11:54 AM Robbie Gemmell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a Qpid Proton 0.28.0 release, please
> give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.28.0-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12344569
>
> It is tagged as 0.28.0-rc1.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

--
-K
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.28.0

astitcher
In reply to this post by Robbie Gemmell
On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 17:11 +0100, Robbie Gemmell wrote:

> A vote might be more compelling than a recommendation :)
>
> As things stand, no one has yet voted against releasing, and there
> are
> currently 3 binding +1 votes, so the vote would pass tomorrow as-is.
> I'm thus far inclined to let it and proceed, since a fix is not yet
> in
> place and it will likely be awkward for me to actually do a respin
> next week, so doing that will likely significantly delay the release
> yet further. I'll happily do a 0.28.1 or 0.29.0 in similar time frame
> once a fix for this or other issues/improvements becomes available.

This was surprisingly lengthy for me to test using  my usual 'off-
piste' tests.

+1

Tested on FeeBSD 12.0p4:
- Builds, tests ok, except issues with ruby binding and asan testing of
python/ruby.

Tested on Raspbian
- Builds (eventually) tests ok without valgrind. Hard to build with
asan.

>
> Robbie
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]