qpid-broker-j-6.1.4 examples will not run.

qpid-broker-j-6.1.4 examples will not run.

dmh@ucar.edu
Version qpid-broker-j-6.1.4

Following README.txt, I did this:
1. Built qpid broker:
        mvn clean install -DskipTests
2. Setup to run examples:
        mvn clean package dependency:copy-dependencies -DskipTests
3. Ran examples:
        java -cp
"client/example/target/classes/:client/example/target/dependency/*"
org.apache.qpid.example.Drain

Step 3 failed with this error:
Error: Could not find or load main class org.apache.qpid.example.Drain
A search indicated that Drain.class was here:
./client/example/target/classes/org/apache/qpid/example/Drain.class
which is the proper location.
Since I was running under Windows7/Cygwin, I tried again replacing the
colon in the classpath with semicolon. I got this error:
        java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/jms/Connection
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.jms.Connection
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:331)

I am guessing the solution is simple, but fail to see it. Suggestions?
=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata

Re: qpid-broker-j-6.1.4 examples will not run.

Keith Wall
Hi Dennis

There are actually two Apache Qpid JMS clients at the moment.

* The Qpid JMS client that uses AMQP 1.0
(https://qpid.apache.org/components/jms/) and,
* The older JMS client that uses the older AMQP protocols (AMQP 0-9/0-91/0-10).

We recommend the former, AMQP 1.0 one, unless you have specific
requirements that mean the older one is the only option.

The examples you are looking at correspond to the older JMS client.
What are your messaging requirements?

Turning to the problem, it sounds like a class path issue,
specifically that the geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-x.x.x.jar is not being
found.  It should have been copied into the
example/target/dependencies directory by the copy-dependencies step.
I don't have a Windows/Cygwin environment to experiment in, but
perhaps if you repeat with a -verbose:class Java command line option,
the problem should reveal itself.

HTH Keith.

On 30 July 2017 at 21:20, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Version qpid-broker-j-6.1.4
>
> Following README.txt, I did this:
> 1. Built qpid broker:
>         mvn clean install -DskipTests
> 2. Setup to run examples:
>         mvn clean package dependency:copy-dependencies -DskipTests
> 3. Ran examples:
>         java -cp
> "client/example/target/classes/:client/example/target/dependency/*"
> org.apache.qpid.example.Drain
>
> Step 3 failed with this error:
> Error: Could not find or load main class org.apache.qpid.example.Drain
> A search indicated that Drain.class was here:
> ./client/example/target/classes/org/apache/qpid/example/Drain.class
> which is the proper location.
> Since I was running under Windows7/Cygwin, I tried again replacing the
> colon in the classpath with semicolon. I got this error:
>         java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/jms/Connection
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.jms.Connection
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:381)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424)
>         at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:331)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357)
>
> I am guessing the solution is simple, but fail to see it. Suggestions?
> =Dennis Heimbigner
>  Unidata

Re: qpid-broker-j-6.1.4 examples will not run.

dmh@ucar.edu
I will try the newer  version. I actually do not need JMS, but do want
amqp version 1

Re: qpid-broker-j-6.1.4 examples will not run.

dennis.heimbigner
Wait, I just realized there is some confusion. I want to run the broker,
not the client only. So, the problem is that running the examples that
come with the broker does not work. So presumably I need to fix the
example code that comes with the broker. Correct?

Re: qpid-broker-j-6.1.4 examples will not run.

No, the examples are for the individual clients and are independent of
each other. You can try the newer clients examples regardless of
getting the older clients examples going. You just need to ensure you
start the server, and in case of the AMQP 1.0 client and the Java
broker also create the queue (or configure auto-creation).

On 31 July 2017 at 22:41, dennis.heimbigner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wait, I just realized there is some confusion. I want to run the broker, not
> the client only. So, the problem is that running the examples that come with
> the broker does not work. So presumably I need to fix the example code that
> comes with the broker. Correct?

Re: qpid-broker-j-6.1.4 examples will not run.

dmh@ucar.edu
Perhaps I need to ask a more basic question. Is qpic-broker-j
even being supported anymore. If not, what alternative java broker
should I be using?

Re: qpid-broker-j-6.1.4 examples will not run.

rgodfrey
On 2 August 2017 at 00:35, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps I need to ask a more basic question. Is qpic-broker-j
> even being supported anymore. If not, what alternative java broker
> should I be using?

Yes - Qpid Broker-J is still supported and undergoing active development

-- Rob